An article by Harvey Mackay, which appeared in a recent edition of the Arizona Republic, featured Bruce Halle, the recently deceased founder of Discount Tire. During his career, Mr. Halle took Discount tire from a single store to 975 stores in 34 states and nearly 20,000 employees and the company is still thriving. In Mr. Halle’s own words, “There are five simple lessons to life:”
- Be honest: Be transparent and always tell the truth.
- Work hard: According to Mr. Mackay, “The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.
- Have fun: If you’re not having fun at what you’re doing, you’ll never be good at it.
- Be grateful: You can’t overuse the term “thank you.” Give people a reason to be kind to you again.
- Pay it forward: Never turn down the chance to do something kind for someone else.
Living out Mr. Halle’s simple lessons in our own lives will not only make us more successful, it will also make us happier and we’ll accumulate a lot more friends as well. If you would like to read Mr. Mackay’s article in its entirety, click on this link.